The first bell summoning the first assembly rang on 12th January 1914 when two boys and three masters met with the founder Principal Rev. H. J Charter (BA, BD). The premises consisted of the college hall and the class rooms on either side of it. The Principalís bungalow, and the Hostel which gave accommodation not only to its boys but also to the divinity students of the Theological School which was a part of the school, the boys who attended Royal College, Medical College and the Law College.
Carey College was established to commemorate the 100 years of the Baptist missionary Society in Sri Lanka. During this era the Baptist Missionary Society (B.M.S.) had already established about hundred of vernacular schools and two girls schools in Colombo and Matale. Therefore, Baptists in Sri Lanka decided to establish a Boys School was located on Kynsey Road, Colombo 08.
In 1925 name of the school changed to Carey Baptist College as a respect to the great Baptist missionary, William Carey, who served the region based in India. Rev. H. Spooner (BD) and Ref. H. W. Spillet (BA, BD) were two successful Principals who opted to keep Carey Collage as a private (fee levying) School when many leading schools joined the free education scheme in 1948.
Rev. Dr. W.G. Wickramasinghe (MA, BD) an old boy of the college took great pains to uplift the school in every sphere. Specially the image in the school with a new building giving the college a majestic look. His Vice Principal Mr. J. V. Weerasinghe succeed him being the first layman to be the Principal After many Principals who served for short periods Mr. E. W. Wijesinghe an experienced Principal and an educationist took the reins of the college. He improved the standard of the college in many avenues, academically and with extracurricular activities.
Today, the college is guided by Mrs. Hemamali Bibile the first lady to hold this position. She is an educationist and an experienced principal who has a vision planned for the future of this esteemed institution that nurtures young men of quality and good values. Carey College was first administered by the Baptist Missionary society and is now managed by the Sri Lanka Baptist Sangamaya.
Today the college has a total student population of 2250 with a teaching staff of 111. They belong to Sinhala, Tamil, Moor, Malay, Burgher and Chinese communities and of different faiths where they live in harmony. Carey College forms its inception concentrated on producing modest men with high morals to the society. Some brilliant students have excelled in life and many are administrators, businessmen and some politicians too.